CHANGE YOUR LIFE –
CHOOSE THE PATH TO
GUIDE FOR RETREAT ATTENDEES
We are delighted you’ve decided to attend a REN XUE retreat with Yuan Tze. We look forward to welcoming you when you arrive.
During the event, you will be immersed in a very powerful, loving, and nourishing environment, also known as a Qifield. In this supportive and nurturing Qifield, Yuan Tze will share the teachings of REN XUE—a practical and comprehensive approach for improving health and living a wisdom-guided life. You will also learn and practice Yuan Gong together with experienced REN XUE teachers from around the world.
Yuan Tze specifically designed Yuan Gong and REN XUE to help practitioners improve life on all levels, including the physical, Qi (energy), and consciousness levels—read more below. Our goal is to share this knowledge and help you experience improvements as deeply as possible.
In this guide, you will find important information about various elements of the retreat. If you have any further questions, please contact Chris, our retreat coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org:
IN THIS GUIDE:
I am really embracing all the different ways of learning – the lectures, the practices, the group activities! The fact that there is a lot of fun also. The heart-to-heart teaching, the connecting and exchanging with others.
~ Petra Johns
A brief overview of REN XUE and Yuan Tze
REN XUE’s founder, Yuan Tze, has lived in New Zealand since 2002. Born in China, Yuan Tze developed REN XUE and its disciplines after spending more than a decade in the West. REN XUE combines the best of both worlds. It draws from Yuan Tze’s deep knowledge of traditional Chinese wisdom culture including Daoism, Confucianism, Qigong, Buddhism, Traditional Chinese Medicine, I-Ching philosophy, Feng Shui, Taiji, Bagua and martial arts. Yuan Tze has integrated such ancient wisdom with modern philosophy, science, medicine, and technology to create a truly unique and comprehensive systems for developing the whole of life.
REN XUE is a wisdom system developed to help practitioners achieve greater health, happiness, sense of wellbeing, realisation and wisdom. It helps us find inner harmony through practices that elevate body, mind and heart, which in turn helps us find outer harmony – in our personal relationships, with society, and with nature.
Yuan Tze’s teachings are in Chinese and are translated by his wife, partner and translator, Melissa. For core REN XUE terminology, Melissa will use the original Chinese terms. Translations of these terms will be posted around the venue and our teachers will be on hand to help further explain each term and their place within REN XUE.
How to Prepare
Mental preparation and goal setting
“The great thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving”– Oliver Wendell Holmes
Our hope for you is that you get the most out of your retreat experience as possible. To do this, we recommend that you take some time to get yourself mentally prepared.
One way to help yourself achieve what you’d like while at retreat is to be clear on your goals and hopes for personal growth. To help focus your thoughts and formulate your goals, you may wish to consider the following questions:
- What would you like to achieve at this stage of your life in order to move your life forward?
- If you could change 2-3 aspects of yourself and your life, what would they be? If these changed, how would your life be different? How would you be different?
- What would you like to achieve at this retreat?
When reflecting on these, you may gain further clarity on specific aspects of your life or intentions that you wish to focus on during the retreat. By placing your attention on what you wish to change, you may experience a release of your creative energies, which can improve your motivation and give you insights into how to achieve what you want.
Letting go of expectations
As the event draws near, you may find you have expectations about the retreat, the teachers, accommodation, food, and most likely, yourself. It’s important to hold these expectations gently, and if possible, to let them go.
Your retreat experience will be like no other. While you have set some intentions or goals above, allow yourself to surrender to what unfolds at the retreat. If you do experience any challenges, trust that you’ll receive the guidance you need to navigate them. More often than not, this guidance comes from within, but if needed, you will also receive support from Yuan Tze and the qualified REN XUE teachers attending.
In addition to the mental preparation, you can start to experience the benefits even during this preparatory stage. Here are some additional things you can do to help you get ready:
1. Read Wellbeing Begins with You: To get the most out of your retreat experience, we recommend that you begin by reading Yuan Tze’s book, Wellbeing Begins With You. Past attendees have reported gaining a lot of insight and benefit from reading Yuan Tze’s books ahead of an event. When reading this book, you may even start to experience changes in your life and your consciousness as you immerse yourself in the teachings.
2. Learn & Practice Yuan Qigong: At the retreat, you will learn and practice the Yuan Gong methods of Tian Yuan, Di Yuan and Ren Yuan. If you are not familiar with the movements, you can view demonstrations of these methods on the REN XUE YouTube channel – Tian Yuan, Di Yuan, and Ren Yuan.
Though it is not essential, if you have an opportunity to learn some Yuan Gong movements in advance you will gain more immediate benefit when practicing in a retreat environment. Click here to see a list of qualified Qigong teachers in your region. If you do not have access to a teacher, and you wish to learn any of these methods in advance, you can learn online through the REN XUE of the Americas At-Home Learning programme on their website here.
If you do know the methods, practicing ahead of time will enable you to build a stronger Qi foundation that will provide an enhanced foundation for when applying the REN XUE teachings to work on improving your life.
3. Practice REN XUE: Application is everything, so if you have already been learning and using REN XUE to work on your life, continue your great effort. This work will help you make breakthroughs at the retreat in dealing with your problems, especially those relating to patterns of the consciousness.
4. Connect with the REN XUE Community: You may wish to connect with others who are already in the global community. You can do so by joining our REN XUE Community Facebook page or signing up for the quarterly REN XUE International newsletter.
What To Bring
- Pillow slip, sheets and duvet or sheets and sleeping bag (unless you are opting to pay the $17.85 linen service fee).
- Personal toiletries, including earplugs in case they may be useful
- Towels, unless you have opted to hire linen.
- Layers of comfortable clothing, as the weather at this time of
yearcan be unpredictable
- Blankets for keeping yourself warm during seated practice
- Cushions for floor seating or seated practice (chairs are also available)
- Tablet/laptop or notebook and pens
- Water bottle or thermos flask
Accommodation before the retreat will need to be arranged by you separately. Please contact Chris on email@example.com to discuss.
Arriving into New Zealand
- NZeTA: Please check here whether you require an NZ electronic Travel Authority
- NZ Customs: If you are visiting NZ for the first time, please pay extra attention to what you cannot bring into the country. Fresh food such as fruit and vegetables are definitely NOT allowed. Anything you are not sure about, declare.
If you have any questions about this, please contact Chris at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are starting to consider your transportation to the retreat, you may wish to consider sharing a ride. We have developed a Ride Sharing page on our website to help connect people with each other to facilitate these opportunities.
Disconnect to reconnect
If possible, plan to disconnect yourself from work and social media so that you can reconnect with yourself. Provide your family and loved ones with an itinerary and contact information, so they know how to reach you in case of an emergency.
While on Retreat
REGISTRATION DAY INFORMATION
Thursday 14 November
New registrants welcome for lunch 12:00-1:30 p.m Reservation required*
Registration 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
First day dinner: 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
* If you wish to reserve a place for lunch, please contact Chris at email@example.com. Payment can be made on arrival.
Friday 22 November
Ends at 12:00 p.m. with lunch
You can also bring your own picnic lunch. There are plenty of places to relax on the
RETREAT DAILY SCHEDULE
7:00 – 8:00 am Session 1 (1’)
8:00 – 9:30 Breakfast (1’30”)
9:30 – 12:00 Session 2 (2’30”)
12:00 – 1:30 pm Lunch (1’30”)
Afternoon & Evening
1:30 – 3:30 pm Session 3 (2’)
3:30 – 4:00 Afternoon tea (30”)
4:00 – 5:30 Session 4 (1’30”)
5:30 – 7:00 Dinner (1’30”)
6:15 – 7:00 Counselling/Tutorial (optional) (45″)
7:00 – 8:30 Session 5 (1’30”)
8:30 – 9:30 Free time (2’)
9:30 – 10:00 Get ready for sleep (30″)
10:00 pm – 6:00 am Bed time (8’)
Note: The five activity sessions are dedicated to learning REN XUE, group healings, learning Yuan Gong and Yuan Gong practice. A detailed programme will be supplied at the retreat.
Consent For Use Of Personal Images
If this is the first time you will be attending a retreat led by Yuan Tze, we would like to ask for your consent to use your images we might record in various media. Please read this agreement in detail here: Agreement for Consent of Use of Personal Images
If you agree with it, please sign the online form (above) before arriving at the retreat. If that’s not possible, a hardcopy form will be available to review and sign when checking-in on day one of the retreat.
If you do not wish to be in photos or videos, please inform Chris, our event coordinator, or Verena, our photographer, who will be on the registration desk when you arrive.
The still and moving qigong practices of Yuan Gong can have a powerful effect, especially when combined with the strength of a retreat Qifield.
During your practice, or after it, you may experience a “Qi reaction” when the body begins to rapidly transform and expel unhealthy Qi and information. Qi reactions are actually a positive sign—they indicate clearing of blockages and the movement towards the improvement of health. However, they can sometimes be surprising or even uncomfortable.
Qi reactions can be emotional (experiencing anger, sadness or grief) or physical, such as:
- joint or muscle pain, especially at the site of old injuries
- fever or flu-like symptoms, sweating
- discharge from any part of the body
- hot rashes, sores or swelling
- nausea or vomiting
- digestive disturbances
Qi reactions are not a cause for concern. It is important to understand that they are a normal part of healing and that they signify positive change.
When dealing with Qi reactions, recognise them as temporary experiences and try to stay calm, relaxed and positive. Once the reaction passes, you will find yourself at a higher level of balance. It’s helpful to continue to do as much Qigong practice as possible in order to transform the old Qi and information more quickly.
You can read more about Qi reactions in Chapter 6 of Yuan Tze’s book Wellbeing Begins With You.
If you have any questions or concerns, please approach one of our qualified REN XUE teachers to discuss.
If unexpected emotions arise
As mentioned above, the REN XUE teachings and practice of Yuan Gong help facilitate personal growth and a healing process. Over the retreat, you may delve deeply into your patterns of thought and behaviour—some of what you may observe to be helpful in life, and some not so helpful.
When observing and considering the less helpful patterns, it won’t come as a surprise that you may not spend the entire retreat in a relaxed and harmonious state. You may find unexpected feelings or thoughts arise; this is normal. Remember, retreats are a supportive environment, so you’re in the best possible place to sit with, and work through what you observe.
As part of this process, we encourage you to take a journal or notebook so you can write down your experiences, observations, and insights. The act of writing can create space for you to separate yourself from what you are experiencing. This can be especially helpful if it is accompanied by a strong emotion. Doing so can also provide you with a good record of aspects you may wish to explore further in the future and also later highlight where you’ve achieved considerable growth and clarity.
When emotions arise, or you find your expectations of yourself are not matching reality, it is important to be flexible and relate to yourself with the same compassion you would with a friend. As you navigate the retreat experience, self-compassion will be your greatest tool for success and self-development.
Supported by a wisdom-guided community
Even if you arrive at the retreat alone, you are supported by all those in the community. While we are each on our own journey, we are all seeking a wisdom-guided life. That in itself brings us together, so you are never alone.
Also, one-on-one REN XUE Guidance sessions will be offered in the evening sessions after dinner. Fully qualified REN XUE teachers will be available to talk through anything that may arise for you during the course of the retreat, whether that’s questions, doubts or difficulties, or even queries regarding the methods themselves.
Common topics that arise during guidance could include:
- Opening the heart
- Changing patterns
- Doing the practice
- Dealing with Qi Reactions
- Understanding REN XUE theories or terms
- Having a good experience at the event
- Continuing with REN XUE after the event
Meditation is an integral component of REN XUE retreats, but we will not spend hours on end in contemplative silence. Firstly, Yuan Tze’s meditations are guided, so this immediately gives your mind something to focus on. Secondly, when practicing you may find your mind wanders—please remember, this is completely normal. As you become more familiar with the process and the more you practice the meditations, you will find that your mind will wander less and less. As you experience this you will feel a greater sense of relaxation and inner calm.
Whatever happens, it’s always a great opportunity to lightly observe your thinking and be compassionate to yourself.
Sitting during teaching sessions
If you’re unaccustomed to sitting still for longer periods of time, you may find your body may start providing feedback. Whether you are sitting on the floor or in a chair, your body too will adapt. However, it may be helpful to explore postures that feel most comfortable to you so that you can cycle through them as required. You will always have the opportunity to leave your seated position and stand at the back of the hall, should you need to have a change of position or wish to stretch.
Keswick Camp & Conference Centre
5 Cooper Ave
Telephone: +64 7 345 9728.
Transport to and within Rotorua
- Map: www.keswick.org.nz/group-camp/location
- From Rotorua Airport to the venue: 3.2 km, 5 minutes’ drive, shuttle bus approximately NZ $13, depending on the number of passengers
- From Rotorua city centre to the venue: 8.3 km, 12 minutes’ drive, bus Baybus Rotorua route 10, get off at Cooper Avenue. Click here for Fares & a Timetable
- Bus from Auckland to Rotorua: 4.5 – 5 hours, www.intercity.co.nz or https://skip.travel
- To the Rotorua Airport from the venue: Baybus Rotorua route 10
- To Rotorua city centre from the venue: Baybus Rotorua route 10
Meals & Dietary Requirements
Three meals and afternoon tea with fruit will be provided daily. Meals will be provided in buffet style. Please bring your own snacks if you need food between meals. The menu will consist of healthy food including fish or meat, fresh fruit, and vegetables, a variety of legumes and grains and some dairy products every day.
There is a basic selection of tea and coffee. If you prefer specific herbal teas, please bring your own tea bags.
Vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free or dairy-free options will be available if necessary. You will have informed us of your requirements when registering, but if these have changed, please let Chris know as soon as possible on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Linen and Bedding
If you have requested to hire linen and bedding this will include 2 single sheets, 1 duvet, 1 pillow, 1 pillowcase and 1 towel. Towels will be changed every three days and sheets once during the stay.
Washing machines and dryers are available: NZD$1 per washing or drying load – cold wash only; soap powder packet – 50 cents.
Phone and Internet Access
If necessary, you will be able to use your cell phone during breaks. You can receive coverage on all major providers.
The Keswick Office number is +64 7 345 9728.
Emergency Contact Number
If you have an emergency and need to make a call, please talk to Chris our retreat coordinator.
For incoming calls, a mobile phone number will be advised closer to the retreat.
Free Wi-Fi is available if desired. No computer facilities are available.
See you soon!
We are looking forward to welcoming you to the retreat and sharing the REN XUE approach to improving health and attaining realisation and wisdom.
If you have any further questions, please contact Chris, our retreat coordinator, at email@example.com
Cancellation and Refund Policy
2019 Retreat Refund Policy: Rotorua, New Zealand
If you need to cancel your retreat registration, please do so early. Late cancellations may make it difficult to give someone else the opportunity to attend. Once you have paid any portion of the retreat fee, administrative and possibly cancellation fees will apply, depending on the cancellation date.
If you cancel your reservation:
- before 14 October 2019 at
midnight,we will refund all fees paid minus any applicable administrative charges.
- on 15 October 2019 or later, we will refund all fees paid minus $150 cancellation fee and applicable administrative charges. Refunds will be paid within 30 days of receiving a cancellation notice.
PLEASE NOTE THAT:
- The same policies apply to full and part-time attendees.
- Anyone leaving the retreat early for anything other than a qualified emergency (medical emergency or a death in the family) will not receive any refund
- If someone leaves early due to a qualified emergency (medical emergency or a death in the family), we will refund the days that are not attended proportionately minus the $150 cancellation fee and the applicable administrative charges.
REN XUE International reserves the right at any time to require that a participant leave the retreat if it is determined that the participant’s behaviour is either excessively disruptive or dangerous to self or others. In this case, all retreat fees are non-refundable.
Cancellation by REN XUE International
In the highly unlikely event that REN XUE International must cancel the retreat for unforeseen reasons, we will notify you as soon as possible and will refund the full fee amount paid.